Thursday 23 February 2012

The Sunday Times 50th Anniversary Exhibition


“My God, this is going to be a disaster.”

These were the words Roy Thompson the owner of The Sunday Times uttered back in 1962 when the paper became the first to include a colour magazine.  The idea was thought of as ‘barmy’ but within a short time quarter of a million new readers came on board.  Fifty years on, the idea of a weekly paper without some kind of supplementary magazine is incomprehensible.  

The Sunday Times celebrated 50 years since it launched the first colour magazine this January/February with an exhibition of some of its most celebrated, iconic images at the Saatchi Gallery in London. 

As I am studying narrative at the moment, I thought what better time to go and see some of these images from the ground-breaking magazine for myself.

I occasionally read The Sunday Times.  These days it comes with so many supplements/magazines it keeps me entertained way beyond Sunday and well into the week.  I have enjoyed the magazine mainly for its features on far off places, places and peoples we’ve forgotten exist and the realities of war from a variety of perspectives.  The magazine buys into the cult of celebrity in a manner that is tolerable for me.  I cannot bear the modern obsession with ‘celebrity’ and the never-ending tirade of drivel and tell all tales about people that are famous for simply being famous.  I don’t care where these people eat, what their dogs are called or whether they’ve had plastic surgery.  However, I do want to know more about my kind of celebrity – someone who has performed an outstanding achievement who we can look up to and admire.  The Sunday Times magazine in general embraces that type of celebrity. 

The images in many of our best-selling magazines are more preoccupied with revealing the shocking news that some celebrities have cellulite, have put on weight or are wearing clothes from a high street store.  They don’t have much of a story to tell.  They are about unveiling evidence that these people that the magazines idolise are flawed and imperfect. 

I want more out of what I read and see than that.  I want to be able to produce better images that that.  I want to appeal to an audience with more interests in life than that. 

The exhibition included some of the work of the world’s finest photographers to have worked for the magazine – Don McCullin, David Bailey, Eve Arnold and Uli Weber to name a few. 

Overall I found the exhibition very interesting as it was less a trip down memory lane than a history lesson.  I found myself recalling events I had forgotten had occurred and asking myself was it really that long ago since such an event occurred.  With a good mix of good photojournalism covering the landing on the moon, the Iraq war, and the fall of Gadaffi to the rise of the Pop Princess Kylie Minogue and Prince Charles and Diana, the images provided a balanced picture of life in the last 50 years. 

Uli Weber's image of Kylie Minogue


The picture that will stay in my memory for years to come will be of Jose Pequerio an Iraqi veteran who lost 40% of his brain in a grenade attack.  The photographer is Eugene Richards and the image is taken from his series War is Personal. It is both shocking and thought provoking.  It depicts sadness and hope, the human being’s ability to survive and the power of a mother’s love. 

The work of Eugene Richards

There were some drawbacks though.  The project rooms were pretty small and had a lot of images crammed in which would be fine when the gallery was quite.  However I went on the last Saturday of the exhibition (they’ve since extended it) and it was packed.  This made navigating the rooms extremely difficult and left me wishing I was taller to be able to see over the sea of people and getting a better view.  Perhaps the longer captions for the images further delayed the flow of people. 

The combining of image and text in this exhibition provided the viewer with a greater insight into the work on display.  The use of a caption which was printed as a header in bold acted as a teaser to encourage the viewer to read the text below it - some 100-200 words - depending on the piece displayed.  This accentuated the picture narrative style which is something I hadn't experienced in an exhibition before. 

On the plus side, it gave me some food for thought and a good introduction to an iconic magazine. 

More information:

No comments:

Post a Comment