Wednesday 29 February 2012

Exercise: Symbols

The idea of this exercise is to find symbols for a number of ideas.

Growth - symbolised by eggs, seeds, plant shoots
You could shoot a heavily pregnant woman for this shot as that shows both the growth of the woman herself and of the human race.



Excess - I think of this too as greed, can be someone oversized eating, an overflowing bag of money
I can't help but get that scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life out of my head with the guy eating in the restaurant.  I would like to be excessive in my treatment of this shot and show something like a gang of riot police running down the road after a child.

Crime - hands behind bars, jail cell, courts, handcuffs
I would shoot a person handcuffed with their hands either behind their backs or in front (as seems to be the norm these days) and crop the shot so the hands and mid torso fill the frame.  To make this more interesting it would be good to have the flashing lights of a police car cast a hue of blue on the image.  Or perhaps have part of the crime scene in the frame.

Silence - quiet and still landscape or cityscape devoid of people and movement, a graveyard, person going ssshhhh
A boat on a very still lake would be a little cliched but to make it more interesting you could look at shooting when you have an interesting sunset.  A person in a snowy field with nothing for miles would also suggest silence.


Poverty - homeless person on the street sleeping rough, people begging, busking, run down council estates.
I think I would like to get some people into this shot to make it come to life.  I would opt for the run down estate or perhaps some poorly dressed children with very worn clothes going to school.


No comments:

Post a Comment