Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Frame. Exercise 2: Object in different positions in the frame

I spent a lot of time thinking about a suitable subject for this series of shots. I tried a couple of scenarios but they didn't have the desired effect.  For example, a swan in the water.  It was very difficult to place a moving object in differing places in the frame, especially when the moving object started to hiss at me!  I found an old boat along the canal which I used for this exercise.  The setting is pretty even with the canal water in the foreground and the greenery of the trees in teh background.

Boat right in the centre of the frame
I think this has the least appeal to me as it doesn't look like there is much happening in the picture.


Boat off centre
I think this works better as it leads you eye into the frame.


Boat in top right hand corner
I like this shot as it is something I would rarely try myself.  I like the way the water leads you into the boat and its reflection in the water.  It also makes the boat look more distant from this perspective.


Boat in bottom left hand corner
This is how I would usually try and frame a shot like this. 

I usually try to place my subjects lower in the frame however from this exercise I have discovered that changing the position of the subject in the frame can give you different perspectives. 

I have also noticed that in this situation the shots with the boat at the centre horizontally are not as interesting to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment