Wednesday 4 May 2011

Exercise 4: Shutter Speeds

I took a series of photgraphs of my volunteer on his bike for this exercise.  I put my camera on the tripod and used my 18-105mm lens.  Getting a plain background was a little problematic as I live in London.  However, I found an area in Gunpowder Park in Enfield which I felt was suitable with just some trees in the background.  

1/800s f6.3 40mm
The image is quite sharp and movement looks static


1/400s f9 40mm
Subject starting to blur


1/200s f13 40mm
Subject is pretty blurred and the background is still sharp

 
1/100s f18 40mm
Subject is very blurred and it looks like a badly taken photograph


1/25s f18 40mm
Here the subject is very blurred but there is a sense of motion in the shot


1/13s f25 40mm
In this shot the subject appears to be cycling at great speed leaving a ghost-like trail


Lessons learned:
  • The slowest shutter speed I used where motion was still reasonably sharp was 1/800s.  If you want to freeze the subject you would want to use a much higher shutter speed than this. 1/3000s for example. This may vary though depending on the motion you are capturing eg someone walking would be slower than cycling.
  • The longer the shutter was open I ran the risk of over-exposing the shots.  I did shoot on a very bright day and perhaps an ND filter would have helped get longer exposures.
  • Images with a little blur don't look as impressive as those that are very blurry.  There is less motion/action in them.
  • I prefer the effect of slower shutter speeds on movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment