Wednesday 4 May 2011

The Frame. Exercise 1: Fitting the frame to the subject

I have always liked the water tower where I live so I decided to shoot it for this series of photographs. 

I used my 18-105mm lens. 

Conventional viewpoint
1/320s f14 21mm

All the water tower is in the frame with some of the houses in the background visible.













Tight fit
1/250s f14 28mm

The water tower fills the frame with some sky in the background.
This is at tight as I could frame the tower without losing some of the top or the bottom.














No edges showing
1/320s f14 42mm

A close up of the tower itself and the words Enfield Island Village can be read.  The blacked out windows show that it is the corner of the building.

This would be the type of shot I would probably have gone for originally.











The water tower in its surroundings
1/320s f14 18mm

This shot shows the size of the water tower in relation to the houses beside it and the road that surrounds it.

I don't think the road signs are particularly attractive in this image and because I was on a bridge to take the shot the water tower is leaning to one side. 



Crops of the final image




No comments:

Post a Comment