Wednesday 1 June 2011

The Frame. Exercise 9: Cropping

I used three photographs I had already taken to explore cropping.  I usually try and avoid cropping my images as reducing the image size affects the overall quality.  I do sometimes have to crop some images though to remove unwanted obstacles that I couldn't avoid when composing the shot. 

Image 1.
I was not entirely happy with this image as I wanted the focus to be more on the actual old fashioned shop front and not the windows.  Cropping the picture allowed me to focus on the shop front.

As shot

Windows and pavement in the foreground removed.  The building now fills the frame. 

I like the door and the sign so cropping further still removes more of the building and provides a close up of the door.

Image 2
This picture has a lot of people in it and lacks focus a little.  I cropped this picture to allow the man on the left hand side walking into the picture to bring the viewer into the frame.  This give the shot more focus and you feel more movement looking at the picture. 

The woman reading the newspaper is clearer and adds dynamic tension to the picture as she is the only person that is stationary. 

As shot.

The man on the left leads you into the frame, only to be stopped by the woman reading the newspaper.

Image 3
Cropping this shot of Central Station in Copenhagen gave it a more creative feel when the focus shifted from the man waiting on the platform for his train to the architectural curves of the ceiling.


As shot

Cropped so the focus is on the man on the platform.

Cropped so the focus falls on the high ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment